Saturday, October 24, 2009

Frustrating day on the Thing.

I bought new rear drums from the local shop. They were custom machined "lightened" and probably left over from someone who never came back to pay his bill. After some discussions on the Samba, it looks like the machining will make the drums more prone to warping and maybe a spongy brake. They felt fine on a low speed run around the block, but now I'm nervous how they will hold up. They look really cool in red powder coat, for whatever that's worth.

I drilled the right front drum to upsize the lug nuts from 12mm to 14mm. The drill press was straight, but the handheld tap wasn't. I was worried the wheel wouldn't center, but it's OK. I'll try to do better with the left drum tomorrow.

Two case of, "I should have left well-enough alone".


No comments: